author topic: I need to lengthen my life, and fast!
Aging Rake posted: 03-06 1764: I need to lengthen my life...

As all gentlemen are accustomed to do, I have begun getting quite far along in age. After seventy-two years I'm still going, but I long for the old days when I used to be able to frequent houses of ill repute and spend time with the ladies there. Nowadays, I cannot help but to fall asleep on the way, or perhaps even forget where I am going and get quite lost in the marketplace. I'm quickly losing my only comfort: my memories of my exploits as a rake. I fear that I do not have much longer before death raps upon my door!

Help!

Dr. J. Hill posted: 03-06 1764: re: advertisement!

"T I N C T U R E of S A G E

A new and noble medicine, for preventing the decays of age, and lengthening human life. Invented by Dr. Hill, and now first published.

It is a pleasant, innocent, and most effectual medicine. It continues health and spirits to the extream of life, at the same time that it extends the date of it, preserves the faculties and memory, warms the heart, strengthens the stomach, and restores lost appetite. There are virtues of sage established on the strength of all antiquity, and now on present proof.

It is first and greatest of all cordials, perfectly mild, yet certain in the effect, refreshing, cheering, and enlivening. A gentle glow, the genuine warmth of youth, spreads gradually through the body upon taking it; the whole frame becomes alert, and more plaint; the head is clear and undisturbed, and the heart light and jovial. Its effect upon the spirits is, to regulate their motions, equally composing them when disturbed, and raising them when depressed. These are wonderful powers in a simple herb; but, if any doubt their reality, the medicine is before them, 'tis perfectly innocent; and one dose will bring conviction.

Though most beneficial in advanced years, it is not limited to that time of life. It prevents all the disorders that attend a sedentary habit; and relieves, instantly in faintness, tremblings, and every kind of discomposure.

It is singularly useful to those who are to speak, read, or appear in Publick, fortifying the mind against the terrors of an audience, giving possession of ones self, and at once composing the thought, and enlivening the imagination.

It is excellent in cathectic habits, and against all obstructions; and is a certain cure in that common and terrible complaint the head-ach.

Above all things, its effects are wonderful in preventing those disorders, which arise from the beginning decays of nature, numbness of the limbs, hardness of hearing, dimness of sight, giddiness of the head, sleepiness, stiffness and trembling of the limbs. Established lethargick habits I have seen cured by it; and perhaps nothing would be for certain to prevent the dreaded returns of the apoplectic fits.

The dose is a tea spoonful twice a day, in a wine glass of water.

It is sold in bottles 3s. each, at Mr. Baldwin's, bookseller, in Pater-noster Row; and Mr. Ridley's, bookseller in St. James-street.

Beside its greater uses abovementioned, this tinctures of sage is the most useful family medicine in the world, always in readiness to remedy those lighter complaints of pains in the head, sickness after meals, and oppression of spirits, which affect delicate constitutions, and do not require the assistance of a physician" (1).