author topic: need a cure for worms
Can't Stop Eating posted: 01-01 1715: need a cure for worms

After eating a particularly ripe piece of meat out in London, I was assuaged with an insatiable hunger. Whether eating pigeons or peacocks, I just can't get enough! I've run up large bills at restaurants, and my friends have stopped inviting me to their dinner affairs. Now I'm a social outcast, and I'm quite sure that I have what are known as worms.

Help!

Sir Kenelm Digby posted: ??-?? 1715: re: A Philosophical Essay Upon Actions on Distant Subjects

"Purging SUGAR-PLUMS entirely without Mercury.

So often mentioned in the publick prints, and used now for several years in great numbers of families with such great success and liking, not to be distinguished by any mortal living from common SUGARPLUMS bought at the confectioners; only those at the confectioners are quite round, whereas these are made something flattish; But as for their colour, taste, smell, &c. 'tis impossible for any one that eats them, to distinguish 'em from a common SUGAR PLUM a lump of loaf sugar, or a bit of sugar-candy, having neither any nauseous, sickly, physical, squeamish or disagreeable taste, or leaving any such taste behind them in the mouth, but may be eaten with the same ease, pleasure, and unconcernedness, that a bit of sugar-candy, or a common sugar plum is...

They kill, destroy, and bring away all sorts of worms, with the slimy corrupted matter that breeds them; having brought away from several men, women, and children, great knots of such worms as these.

And on Christmas Eve, 1714, two of these plums brought away alive near half a pint of these sort of worms, from the child of Mr. Dixon, a taylor, in Feathers-Court in St. Martins-Lane, an account of which any one may see more at large in an advertisement in the evening post on Tuesday, Dec. 28, 1714" (1).