author topic: help my child survive teething!
Worried Mother posted: 01-03 1714: help my child survive teething!

As the chance of death for a young child is so great in this age, I have inquired far and wide about the famed Anodyne Necklace. However, I have met with considerable confusion, for there seem to be so many different versions of the Anodyne Necklace that float about the marketplace. Each time I purchase a necklace, I fear that it may be the wrong one, and I fear being taken advantage of by a loathsome quack. If someone could clear this up for me, I would be eternally grateful.

Mrs. Garway posted: 01-06 1717: advertisement!

"The famous necklaces, for easing young children in breeding and cutting their teeth without pain, thereby preventing (by God's assistance) fevers, convulsions, consumptions, ruptures, chin-coughs, rickets, and such attendant distempers, to the admiration of thousands of persons in this city of London, and counties adjacent, who have experienced the same, to the great comfort and entire satisfaction of their parents, besides the decrease in the Bills of Mortality. These rare necklaces are sold, for the publick good, at 5s. each, with a catalogue of the names of the many children honourable and worthy parents, and other sufficient housekeepers, who, by hearing these necklaces, have recovered, when there was but little hopes of life. Sold only by Mrs. Garway, at the Royal Exchange in Cornhill, London." --The Daily Courant, 6 January, 1717.

The True Seller of the Famed Necklace posted: 01-13 1717: advertisement!

"The admirable necklace, pr. 5s. with directions in English and French for wearing it, is to be had ONLY up one pair of stairs at the Sugar-Loaf, a confectioner's shop over against Old Round-Court near the New Exchange in the Strand. Where is GIVEN GRATIS the philosophical essay upon it; together with the 17th edition in English, French, and High German, of the PRACTICAL SCHEME of secret injuries and broken constitutions, by fast living; former ill cures, salivations, and mercury." The Weekly Journal, Or British Gazeteer, 13 January, 1717.

Mrs. Garway posted: 03-02 1717: re: "True Seller's" advertisement

"Hereby is detected the famous Anodine Necklace [sic] sold at the Sugar-Loaf in the Strand: beads made of dead people's sculls. A rare artifice! A choice preface, an introduction to a belief of romish tales! No wonder the relicks of their saints are held in such estimation, when the sculls of indifferent persons can effectually remove all manner of ailments in old and young, and be instrumental in the cure of clap and pox. Charming doctrine of Dr. Chamberlen! and hard fare, that his glad tidings (which have prov'd harbingers of death to those children, thro' parents dependence theron) should meet with the most vehement curse and reproach." --The Weekly Journal, 2 March, 1717.

Paul Chamberlen M.D. posted: 02-16 1717: a response to the controversy regarding the famous necklace

"Whereas a NECKLACE is published in Cornhill, &c. as recommended by me: I hereby declare to the World, that I know nothing of it, nor its author. I do not deny but that I have for some time, and do not deny but that I have for some time, and do still, approve of, and recommend to the world, that most admirable necklace for children's TEETH, &c. Sold only at the Sugar Loaf against Old Round-Court in the Strand: As also The Specific Remedy and Elixir for the secret disease and broken constitutions, at the same place; and at Mr. Coopers by Hungerford Market; and Mrs. Garway's at the Royal Exchange Gate: All which I know to be most excellent things, worth any one's having in those circumstances; for which reason I recommend to every one's serious perusal the little practical scheme and essay writ upon them, and given Gratis in most european languages, at the abovementioned places: but if any other necklace, specifick remedy, or elixir for these distempers, are at any time, under my name, published by persons who live by pirating and counterfeiting other men's secrets, it is an imposition upon me and the world. Therefore I hereby caution all persons to beware of such counterfeits.

From my house in Great Suffolk-Street, near the Hay Market,

Paul Chamberlen. MD"

Mr. Payne posted: ??-?? 1728: advertisement

"Notice to all persons in the city quarter and Royal Exchange part of London. That Mr. Payne, (at whose shop in Pope's Head Ally in Cornhill the Great Specifick Remedy, and other Medicines in the Practical Scheme, together with the Anodyne Necklace, &c. were some time ago settled, when they were for just reasons, taken away from the Royal Exchange Gate) keeps now the CANE SHOP in the passage that goes out of the middle of Castle Ally, into the side walk of the Royal Exchange.

Such persons are here put in mind of Mr. Payne's shop in Castle Ally Passage into the change, as above... And there you'll be sure to have no counterfeits of any thing."--The Englishman's Two Wishes, 1728.

The Black Boy and Comb posted: 01-13 1732: advertisement

"ANODYNE NECKLACE

Price Three Shillings, with allowance by wholesale. Recommended by Dr. David Hamilton, Dr. Chamberlen, and all the eminent practitioners for children, in cutting or breeding their teeth; which as soon as it is put about the child's neck, all the symptoms immediately cease; such as fever, convulsions, violent looseness, &c. To prevent counterfeits, is sold only at the Black Boy and Comb next the Pastry-Cook's on Ludgate-Hill." --The Country Journal, 13 January, 1732.

Mrs. Hill, Child's Coatseller posted: 03-13 1732: advertisement

"ANODYNE NECKLACE

TWO shillings, and a great deal cheaper by Wholesale. Approved of by Dr. Ratcliff, Dr. Hamilton, Dr. Chamberlen, and the most experienced physicians for children in the dangerous breeding and cutting of their teeth.

Numbers of infants at the brink of the grave, with their teeth, have almost miraculously recovered, after their only wearing it, fits, convulsions, fevers, looseness, gripes and other ill symptoms, and pains having in a manner immediately vanished.

To prevent counterfeits, it is only to be had in Fleet-street, of Mrs. HILL, child's coatseller, at the sign of the feather between Salisbury Court and Bride-Lane End. Who besides this admirable helping necklace for infants teeth, sells all sorts sorts of clothing for children at the most reasonable rates.

Paul Chamberlen MD posted: 03-18 1732: advertisement!

"ANODYNE NECKLACE

Price Three Shillings, with allowance by wholesale. Recommended by Dr. David Hamilton, Dr. Chamberlen, and all the eminent practitioners for children, in cutting or breeding their teeth; which as soon as it is put about the child's neck, all the symptoms immediately cease; such as fever, convulsions, violent looseness, &c. To prevent counterfeits, is sold only at the Black Boy and Comb next the Pastry-Cook's on Ludgate-Hill.

Others I disown as spurious, and counterfeits; and if said to be recommended by ME, are an imposition on me and the publick, I never having recommended any other necklace for children's teeth, &c. but only this ONE Anodyne Necklace. Therefore I hereby caution all persons to beware of counterfeits.

Witness my hand. P. CHAMBERLEN MD --The Country Journal, 18 March, 1732

ECE Advertiser Message Board Moderator posted: 03-19 1732: On the distinguished Dr. Chamberlen

Although, like newspapers in the eighteenth-century, our policy is not to interfere with the content of advertisements, no matter how false they may be, we are making an exception in this extreme case. We wish to point out that it is highly doubtful that the distinguished Dr. Chamberlen has indeed made the post yesterday pertaining to the Anodyne Necklace, for he has been dead for over a decade. We at The ECE Advertiser thought you might find this information useful.