Re: question on DN, RFC 1779

Mark Smith (mcs@netscape.com)
Fri, 06 Sep 1996 09:37:54 -0700

Carl Binding wrote:

> We're starting to look into using LDAP and SLAPD as a directory service
> for some experimental project. One issue we're facing is the
> composition of a distinguished name (DN). RFC 1779 mentions 7
> standardized keywords which can be used in RDNs of a DN. (For the
> standard buffs, this choice probably stems from an interpretation of
> the annex B of recommendation X.521).
>
> The question now is as follows:
> -- where do we find out about the set of keywords that U-Mich's LDAP
> env. can digest?
> -- can we define new such "standardized keywords"? if so, how?

The UMich LDAP implementation doesn't make many assumptions about what
attribute types ("keywords") are used in DNs. If you use multi-valued
RDNs the slapd server may get confused, but I think the client library
handles those OK. Othwerwise, you can use any types you wish.

However, I would highly recommend using well-known attribute types in
your DNs. If you ever need to interoperate with other servers and
clients, they will have an easier time with standard attributes. You
can do a lot with just the "cn" attribute if you think of it as a very
generic "name" attribute (which it is).

> The reason we believe that there is a potential problem with using
> unknown keywords are the LDAP routines operating on DNs (i.e.
> ldap_explode_dn() etc) which are probably aware of the set of known RDN
> attribute keys.

A quick grep shows me that the only routine inside the LDAP library that
knows about these favored attribute types is ldap_dn2ufn(), and it has
to so it can comply with the relevant RFC. I didn't look in slapd, but
I we were fairly careful not to assume too much about what someone might
put in a DN.

-Mark