Re: slurpd problems

Gordon Good (ggood@netscape.com)
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 10:19:22 -0700

Chris Irwin wrote:

> I have just setup replication asper the instructions in the SLAPD &
> SLURPD Administrators guide v 3.3
>
> The replication works if I update the master slapd server (i.e. slurpd
> picks up the change and replicates it to the slave slapd server) but the
> opposite directions doesn't work. When I make an update to the slave
> slapd server, I get the message :
>
> modifying entry cn=Christopher S Irwin,o=Concept Five Technologies,c=US
> ldap_modify: Partial results and referral received
>
> but that is it. Nothing is sent to the master slapd server.
>
> Do I need to have a referral lin ein my slave's slapd.conf file that
> points at the master slapd server ?
>
> I saw nothing in the admin guide stating this but thought that this may
> be the problem.

When a server receives a modify operation for an entry in a part of the
DIT for which it is a slave, it issues a referral to the master.
Clients need to detect this and submit the operation to the master. The
LDAP-3.3 library includes some support for chasing referrals and
rebinding on referral, but the client tools like ldapmodify don't do
this yet. A client which wanted to implement this should set the
LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS option in the LDAP structure (it's on by default),
and should register a rebind proc using ldap_set_rebind_proc(). The
rebind proc will be called when referrals are chased and allows the
client to bind to the master before the library re-submits the modify
operation.

--
Gordon Good                          (opinions expressed here are mine,
Netscape Communications Corp.         not necessarily my employer's)