RE: How unique must Distinguished Names be?

Steve Harris (sharris@netcentral.co.uk)
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 20:31:24 +-100

Others have already mentioned the idea of a unique ID added to the CN, and
also the idea of splitting names into OUs, e.g. CN=J.Soap, OU=Research,
O=BT Plc, C=gb, or whatever.

However, what about using multi-value common names. I.e., you set the DIT
up to use a CN of an employeed id, and a CN of a user name, e.g

CN=1234
CN=Joe Soap
O=BT Plc
C=gb

I believe that the LDAP client has to be more sophisticated to cope with such
a search. Certainly, some clients would only resolve if you searched for
"CN=1234,O=...". A better one would cope with a UFN of either 1234 or Joe...

I don't know whether you could configure your DIT this way. Our QUIPU DSA
copes with this admirably however.

Hope this helps,

Steve Harris
Boldon James Limited