Re: ldap bytestream representation

Eric Rosenquist (rosenqui@strataware.com)
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 18:52:53 -0400

On 24 Jul 96 at 8:34, Wehner, Stefan wrote:

> who can tell me how the ldap protocol really looks like? The syntax used
> for the protocol specification in RFC-1777 doesn't really help me to
> understand the actual representation in the TCP/IP packages. I even tried
> to read the ASN.1 specification but got a headache after the third page.

The reason you got a headache is that ASN.1 is specification that takes a
while to digest. BER encoded values have three components: a tag, a
length, and a value. Quite often, the value itself is another BER
encoded value - there's a bit in the tag field that indicates if this is
so. A good intro can be found in "The Layman's Guide to BER..." in
<http://www.rsa.com/pub/pkcs/>. Look in the subdirectory of your choice
(DOS, ASCII, PS) for layman.*.

Eric
Eric Rosenquist, Strata Software Limited http://www.strataware.com/
Email: rosenqui@strataware.com Tel: 613-591-1922 Fax: 613-591-3485
Quote: Krusty Burgers - the official meat-flavored product of the
Summer Olympics.