Re: Operation not allowed on nonleaf

Tim Howes (howes@netscape.com)
Mon, 01 Jul 1996 15:10:52 -0700

Eyal Schwartz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running ldap32.dll based app on WindowsNT against Slapd 3.3 server
> on Linux Slackware
> (April edition) .
>
> Has anyone seen the following problem? Is this a known bug?
>
> 1. Create new entry (say "ou=Win95...")
> 2. Create a child entry (say, "cn=Shell,ou=Win95....")
> 3. Delete the child
> 4. Attempt to delete the parent ("ou=Win95...") fails with error
> "Operation not allowed on nonleaf."
>
> At this point, the parent has no children, but is considered nonleaf for
> some reason.
> I will appreciate any advise on this.

Yes, it's a known problem with slapd not updating one of its indexes
properly on the delete (the one that says whether an entry has children
or not). The problem will go away if you regenerate your indexes from
an ldif file. Or you can hack the slapd code to work around the problem.
Sorry, I don't have a patch to give you. -- Tim