Re: Problems getting LDAP to work (thanks)

Russell Fulton (r.fulton@auckland.ac.nz)
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:35:41 +1200 (NZT)

From: "Tim Hahn" <tjh@VNET.IBM.COM>

> This is most likely, as all have indicated before, a limitation using
> the ndbm interfaces. The SLAPD code builds some index constructs

Thanks to all those who responded to my query and Paul's followup.
In my case the problem was, in deed, the use of ndbm. I had noted the
warings in the manual but expected more 'obvious' signs of
failure. That the indexing would fail silently and thus cause all
searches to to fail simply had not occurred to me. Sigh...

I have rebuilt with gdbm and all is now working fine.

I now have another problem:

I am trying to get Simeon mail to work with the U Michigan
server. Here is the log of a typical request:

slapd[20261]: conn=3 op=0 BIND dn="" method=128
slapd[20261]: conn=3 op=0 RESULT err=0 tag=97 nentries=0
slapd[20261]: conn=3 op=1 SRCH base="" scope=1 filter="(&(objectclass=COUNTRY)(friendlycountryname=*NZ*))"
slapd[20261]: conn=3 op=1 RESULT err=9 tag=101 nentries=0
slapd[20261]: conn=3 op=2 UNBIND

I have attempted (perhaps naively) to define a new attribute
friendlycountryname and add values for it in the config and data files:

include /usr/local/ldap/etc/slapd.at.conf
include /usr/local/ldap/etc/slapd.oc.conf
schemacheck off
referral ldap://ldap.itd.umich.edu

attribute friendlycountryname cis

and in the data file:

dn: c=NZ
c: NZ
friendlycountryname: NZ
objectclass: country

dn: o=The University of Auckland, c=NZ
o: The University of Auckland
objectclass: organisation

I am still coming to grips with the X500 view of the world and I am un
sure of how to proceed from here.

Hmmm... Can somone point me to a good reference on X500. I've tried
wading through the the LDAP rfcs but have found them rather heavy
going and even there I find that there is an assumption that the
reader is familiar with X500 concepts. This isnt a critisim of
the rfc, or their authors. The rfc's job is to define the protocol not
provide a tutorial.

I have filed a report with the Simeon support several weeks ago but
sofar I have not had any response from them. (yes I managed to get
things going with a database of two entries a couple of weeks ago,
that should have alerted me that ndbm was the problem when the loading
of the full data failed, sigh...)

I notice that if I don't fill in the Organisation and Country Simeon
default to 'Esys' and 'CA' respectively and there does not seem to be
anywhere to set the defaults. This I will take up with Esys.

As always, any (and all) help gratefully received.

Cheers, Russell.
| Russell Fulton 'phone +64 9 373-7599 x 8955 |
| ITSS fax +64 9 373-7425 |
| University of Auckland email r.fulton@auckland.ac.nz |
| Private Bag 92019 time gmt -12 (-13 oct - mar) |
| Auckland, New Zealand. |