Re: ldap & java?

Simon Spero (ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu)
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 14:29:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Phil Peterson wrote:

> Beyond that, I think it'd be pretty cool to have the whole client side
> implemented in Java for use with non-personal-computer hardware
> platforms. Like public telephones, for instance.

I wrote a reasonable BER/DER library in java for handling X.509/LDAP . It's
currently in limbo as I wrote it when working for EIT/Verifone- I'm
probably going to just bite the bullet and rewrite it again to do LDAP v3.

There's not much compute intensive work- the only slight problem is if
you have very large data records, as java makes it a little harder to use
data straight from the input buffer.

LDAP v3 is a bit harder to decode by hand than V2, but it's still pretty
reasonable. Also, it's now pretty safe to assume that all ldap
implementations in real use are doing BER properly, so there's no need
for the backwards compatibility kludges

Simon

---
Cause maybe  (maybe)		      | In my mind I'm going to Carolina
you're gonna be the one that saves me | - back in Chapel Hill May 16th.
And after all			      | Email address remains unchanged
You're my firewall -    	      | ........First in Usenet.........