Re: LDAPResult structure

Tim Howes (tim@umich.edu)
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 08:49:02 -0500

> From: Eric NISOLLE <Eric.NISOLLE@ed.nce.sita.int>
> To: ldap@umich.edu

> We have tested a Ldap Server that sometimes gives results like :
>
> resultCode = 1 (operationsError)
>
> errorMessage = "ENTRY EXISTS"
>
> As the "errorMessage" field is optional, we think that the result should be :
>
> resultCode = 68 (entryAlreadyExists)
>
> errorMessage = empty (in this case)
>
> Reading the RFC 1777, my interpretation is that the resultCode provided by the
- Ldap Server should be as precise as possible
> (and that may seem obvious to some of you!).
>
> I mean that the resultCode value "operationsError" should be used only if ther
- e is no more precised code defined
> in the RFC.
>
> However, this point needs maybe to be clarified in the RFC (even if quite obvi
- ous).

> What do you think ?

What ldap server are you using? There is no place in either of our servers
where this message is returned. I agree with your assessment, though the
RFC also says that implementations should not rely on the errorMessage.
-- Tim