Re: Question

Tim Howes (tim@umich.edu)
Wed, 17 May 1995 11:29:40 -0400

> From: Mark Murphy <mark@opus.pass.wayne.edu>
> To: ldap@umich.edu

> I'm having a problem understanding the line between QUIPU and LDAP. I
> had to compile and install ISODE-8.0, including QUIPU, in order to
> get the necessary libraries to compile the LDAP server. That's all
> done, however, do I still need to follow the rest of the PSI White
> Pages Pilot Project's QUIPU steps to configure my DUA, DSA and join
> the pilot DMD before I can even use LDAP?

What you are trying to set up looks like this:

LDAP DAP
ldap clients <-------> ldap server <-------> X.500 server
(maX.500, (ldapd) (quipu)
waX.500, translates holds your data
fingerd, ldap requests
go500gw, into dap
etc.) requests
using the isode
libraries

>From this picture, it should be clear that you need to bring up
an X.500 service first to hold your data, then bring up an ldap
server to make that data available to ldap clients.

> How is UM implementing X.500? My understanding was that you did away
> with QUIPU and replaced it with LDAP or are you still using the DSA
> part of QUIPU and LDAP basically replaced the DUA part of it?

We are not using quipu, but we are still running X.500. We run a
dsa we developed in cooperation with the isode consortium called
the gda dsa. Our current picture is the same as above, but with
"quipu" replaced by "gda dsa".

> I guess my main problem is that I'm assuming that once I have the
> necessary libraries to compile the LDAP server, I no longer need to
> utilize any part of the QUIPU service of the PSI White Pages Project,
> is this incorrect?

Unfortunately, no, as explained above. The good news, however, is that
we are working on a stand-alone ldap daemon (slapd) that does just what
you want, and doesn't require isode at all. Slapd manages its own local
database(s), and is able to refer smart ldap clients elsewhere for data
it does not hold locally. Watch this list for a release announcement
(within a month or so). -- Tim