Re: ldapd 3.1beta crashed our server

Eric Douglas (eric_douglas@csufresno.edu)
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 22:57:13 -0800

In message <199411220537.AAA10141@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu>, Thomas Lenggenh
ager writes:

>address alignment happened in ldapd and that caused the kernel panic?

>> Nov 21 16:52:42 nic vmunix: pid 11714, `ldapd': Memory address alignment
>> Nov 21 16:52:42 nic vmunix: panic on cpu 0: Memory address alignment
>> Nov 21 16:52:42 nic vmunix: syncing file systems... done

I'm pretty sure all this says is that 'ldapd' was the 'running' process
when the kernel panic'ed. I agree with Tim that it is highly unlikely
that a user process could panic the kernel unless there is a known bug
(or possibly and unknown one!) where a patch needs to be applied to
the kernel.

--douglas

* Eric W. Douglas Internet: eric_douglas@csufresno.edu
* CCMS/CSci, California Voice: +1 209 278 3923
* State University Fresno Logic joke: if p->q and not q then not p, NOT!